Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Crawl spaces and other such crap.

Last night, while I was clearing out my tool room; I finally decided that I was probably not going to begin using the expensive, plastic commode chair that was ceremoniously foisted upon me by a well-meaning therapist last Autumn. The particular therapist who had the commode delivered to our house was so intent upon providing us with this wondrous piece of helpfulness that she even arranged the financing and payment.
So,the thing was delivered; several years after Blue has been toilet-trained in my household. I tried it, but the "footrest" is a flimsy plastic ledge that will not hold his weight. Thereby, he cannot step up into the thing. The straps and all their velcro take longer to put in place than the reason he is being strapped in in the first place. And the best part is that the thing won't fit in my washroom over the toilet. Thus, something that requires a ceiling-mounted lift, and a renovation in the house; has gone the way of no-thanks.
I understand very well that many persons with CP cannot bear their weight. I also understand that the parents of these people (like me) aren't getting any younger; but my particular son can still bear his weight and step around the house. Why would I, or ANY parent of a boy like him, begin using machines to do one of the few things he can do for himself? Because I have a plastic contraption with velcro straps onto which I can winch him, I suppose. Not on my watch.
That`s what conductive education did for my family. It taught my son and me and Roxy how to function in a normal house. So, last night I opened the trap door on my back deck and wrestled the commode into the dry, dusty crawl space. And that is something about which neither I nor my son give a crap.

5 comments:

Susie Mallett said...

Hello James

I was going to comment on this posting then I read Andrew Sutton's blog and thought that I don’t need to anymore because as usual Andrew has said it all so very well.

But have decided I will comment anyway.

I would just like to add that we have a very expensive, but donated mini-toilet seat, unused, in the corner of our bathroom in Nürnberg.
It has removable padded bits that would take an age to keep clean. It takes so long to put on the toilet, where it has to remain fixed, that we just don't use it.

We don't have enough toilets to have one solely for the one child who might need it, so we teach them all PDQ to use a normal toilet with the hole made smaller with a run-of-the-mill child’s seat.

Of course, we know that this is possible, and we know how to go about doing it. It must be so hard for a parent’ faith and hope to stand up to the disheartening opinion and advice of people who don't know either and only know about handing over useless, expensive pieces of equipment.

Susie

Anonymous said...

Hey James, I've got an attic full of that stuff. Never used almost none of it. Got a therapist to take back an inflatable bath hoist not long back. Only success though.

We do have adaptations attached to the ceiling in the living room, hallway (downstairs and upstairs) and in Sarah's bedrooms for a hoist. Used less often than the number of years its been there. Comes with two power units that have to be kept permanently on charge.

Sometimes I think of the cost to the Health Service of all this kit lying unused....

Andrew Sutton said...

http://www.conductive-world.info/2010/01/lesson-from-conductive-upbringing.html

Susie Mallett said...

Hello James again,

Just wanted to say how nice it is to have you and your blog in the CE Blogosphere.

I enjoy having another conductive upbringer out there to communicate with, they are becoming quite rare creatures. On my side of the fence almost an endangered species.

Susie

Andrew Sutton said...

You might like to see this recent posting, from a parent in Ontario:

http://mymaclain.blogspot.com/

It looks like she'll soon be needing some space under her deck too...

Andrew.