Monday, February 8, 2010

Think I missed a moment. . .

So there we were yesterday at church. Blue and I were returning to Roxy and our wooden bench. Out in the hallway area, I was scooting along in front of him on my custom-made 'scooter stool.' He was stepping nicely. I was helping him shift his weight. Lo and behold, here comes a group of children from their mini-service on their way back to their parents. Well, as is usual, all the children stared, silent, at Blue and I making our way. I have come to learn to ignore these stares. Not much I can do about it, and I have to concentrate on Blue anyway. But this time, one of the church ladies had the smarts to say, "He's practicing walking. Good job. You're doing great."

This so confused me that I didn't look or say anything, but for the first time in years it seemed that someone broke the silence with music. It was a prime opportunity to say at least thanks, or something; but the callous in my brain is too thick.

I'm going to have to find that lady and say something. I didn't even think to look at Blue's face to see if he was proud or happy about the remark. I was just watching his legs and torso as always: step, straighten, shift. Step, straighten, sheesh!

2 comments:

Susie Mallett said...

Hi James

Thanks for today's comment over on my blog. I don't have time to answer both, it is my lunch break. I will just do this one for now and maybe get time for the other at tea break!

Isn't it lovely when someone says the right thing just at the right moment.

It happens sometimes with mums or grandmas, or with brothers or sisters,and more often with group peers. It is even more wonderful when it is a stranger who spots the moment!

It is always difficult at the time to react as concentration is elsewhere, but those people usually know that they have done, or said, something good, it is why they say it. Even the children.

Yes, it would be nice to thank the lady at church, then you can be sure that she will say something again the next time she sees you both hard at work. But she knows, I am sure, how much it was appreciated by you and by Blue.

I love to get the opportunity to praise the family members who are often so unsure if they are doing "the right thing" and afraid to "interfer" with us while "working".

As for the stares, I know it is difficult. The older children always ask me what to do when this happens. I say they could try being very tough and brave and try to open a conversation. They report back that it works and they feel great having achieved this.

But with younger children and those children who can't speak it is more difficult and we adults have to carefully initiate the conversation for them, if they so wish.

Children's stares are full of different feelings than the stares of adults. Most children are thrilled to be drawn in and find out what is going on.

It is more difficult to get past the stares of adults. It may need more time but if we are brave and tough it usually works too.

Jennifer Thayer said...

Hi James!
Jennifer from White Bear Lake here to say Hello!
Nice to meet you via blogger!
Definitely look us up when you are in Minnesota. I would be honored to meet Blue! ;)