Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Still here. . .

Our last blast of CE ended mid-August, and everything seems to have gone so quiet. Being a parent of a kid with CP kind of automatically shuts the whole world out anyway, but I'm holding out for bigger things to happen. Just want to say thanks to Lori-ann, Darcy, Deb, Nicole, and Roxy for reminding me that it's still worth pursuing. We're arranging a small "demo" of CE for a local school board. Even more importantly, there is a small group of parents who are standing up for CE, and they're not ashamed to say it!
I realize now more than ever, that none of us set out to be political; but the situation calls for it. When the professionals never ask about what this CE thing is, and years go by, and you're still wondering who is going to see what you're seeing for your child. Well, I guess we just gotta take it to them, in every sense of the phrase. It's time to set up a BC Conductive Education Association, or the art will never take root here. Parents have to coalesce, just a few to start. I can't do this any longer on my own.

5 comments:

Rony Schenker, OTR, PhD, Tsad Kadima, Israel said...

Dear James,
Would advice you to visit our website:www.tsadkadima.org.il and read my paper in Recent Advances in CE titled: The 5 F's, cornerstone for succes- Tsad kadima , a case study.
Don't give up, construct a well thought loby and strategy for action
Rony

Rony Schenker, OTR, PhD, Tsad Kadima, Israel said...

Dear James,
Would advice you to visit our website:www.tsadkadima.org.il and read my paper in Recent Advances in CE titled: The 5 F's, cornerstone for succes- Tsad kadima , a case study.
Don't give up, construct a well thought loby and strategy for action
Rony

Anonymous said...

The BC Conductive Education Association. A fine organisation! The name resounds! Don't hesitate, James. Take heart. Just do it.

Kasey Gray said...

Dear James,
Please also consider joining the Association for CE in North America (ACENA). Have a look at the website for more information www.acena.org

Anonymous said...

Hello James. I've been pondering what I would do first were I setting up the BC CE Assoc. I didn't practically get much beyond Rony's valuable advice to lobby and build a strategy for action. Then I recalled Steve Snow. (http://www.partnerships.org.uk/articles/doit1.html)
I first came across these wise words years ago. He gave me heart when I struggled at the scale of the task I'd set myself. Indeed, I borrowed the title - "Just do it" as a kind of slogan.

Friends. Teams. You, personally, need them. People to ease the load on you. In the UK, an association such as the BCCEA would have Patrons, the 'great and the good', to bring gravitas, who will lend their personal credibility to the venture, who might open doors. Such an association would have Trustees, too. Non-executives who meet, say, monthly or quarterly, and help build the organisation as a credible and effective body; who will speak for you and instead of you. And do remember all those who, in many small ways, support you - and build them into a network. One thing I regret is that from the very beginning Paces did not keep a detailed record of all those wonderful people who helped and encouraged me and us - not least so that now I might thank them, and who now might be a powerful lobbying network. Nowadays, of course, the internet - email, social networking - would make that task so much easier.

Just to end with the same thought as Steve Snow does: "take care of yourselves physically and emotionally as you build your community networks".