Thursday, April 3, 2008

Inside looking out. . .

Here we are, out on the great wet coast of Western Canada, where every child with CP has 5 therapists who visit him/her at school; and remarkably a whole lot of nothing changes. My son represents money to the school system, he is work, jobs. Sadly, the only learning that stuck for both him and I was in the conductive classroom I was able to set up at my work; because my employer is a non-profit agency with the insight and flexibility to allow a desperate father to try something "new."
My son is still in his school, inside looking out at the conductor on his off times, and in my home when we can.
Due to the support of my workplace, I have had the fortunate accident happen that a conductor called me from Seattle, of all places, and we worked out a contract for her to come here until mid-August. Now, as much as I'm happy to have her here, the money has to be found to bring her back some more. British Columbia is a sad story when it comes to conductive education; though I could tell a number of awesome tales about individual families and what they've seen happen after just an insultingly small amount of conductive education. To be honest, I also have to admit that there have been a lot of families who tried it and haven't come back since; but there is no blame to be laid for this. We all have our kids to raise, and our particular circumstances within which to do it.
As for me, if 1 child is happier, and more involved, more engaged, more functioning; it's worth it.

No comments: