Monday, April 28, 2008

World -wide conductive community?

Weird. We've got our conductor here now, for a 15-week interim session. She's working part-time (3 days a week) until July 5, when the full-time summer session kicks into high gear. IN the interest of keeping our budget above water, the conductor has booted off on a 3 week camping trip in Central America. (I want her job!!) Even with her absence, we have had more continuous conductive ed than ever because it was a week straight and she's been here every week since; at least part time. People are making connections, doors are beginning to open up, and goals are coming into a clearer focus and progress is beginning. It's great, but at the same time, one must admit that for the most part doors are closed; financially and chronologically.
Most parents who I know, who want this for their kids are squeezing it in edgewise. Simultaneously, they are squeezing the dollars for it somehow out of their budgets. I am feeling the squeeze too, as an unpaid volunteer director. I want to build a program, but I don't know how. I want to raise funds for it, but I'm no expert at that either and I don't have all the connections or know how around it. How can I connect with the world-wide conductive community?

5 comments:

Ben Foulger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben Foulger said...

Hi James,

Ok second try, first one the web address got mangled.

Unfortunately there isn't really a central place on the Internet for the CE community. This may change in the future, but for now a couple of places you can try are:

http://www.conductive-education.org.uk This is the site for the National Institute of Conductive Education, a centre of excellence and conductor training facility in the UK. There used to be an active'ish forum on there but it is currently broken. There is a list of worldwide centres which may be of interest?

http://www.pageflakes.com/PacesCEO/ - A new website that is basically an amalgamation of various CE blogs but with hopes to expand to other things. Blogs worth looking at include Conductive Education World

http://www.marchofdimes.ca/dimes/people_with_disabilities_caregivers/programs_and_services/conductive_education/ - I guess you know about what is, as far as I know, the main Conductive Education organisation in Canada, March Of Dimes?

Hope these help. There are a couple of web based forums but they are largely inactive. Keep your eye on the blogs for interesting information, the Conductive Education World will keep you up to date with new information.

B.

Ben Foulger said...

Hmm slightly annoying you can't edit comments.

Can't find an easy way for contacting you personally so will do it through the comments - may I add your blog to the Pageflakes page (
http://www.pageflakes.com/PacesCEO/) that I mentioned in my previous comment? As I say, its an amalgamation of all the blogs we can find about Conductive Education. Please let me know via the email address that you can find on my profile.

B.

Andrew Sutton said...

Sorry to the delay in responding to your anguished posting.

I've tried to respond fully to you on my own site:

http://andrew-sutton.blogspot.com/2008/05/conductive-community.html

I do hope that it helps.


Andrew Sutton.

NormanP said...

James, I've already sent an email for you via The Lower Mainland Purpose Society for Youth and Families to the general enquiries email address. So this duplicates that.

I'll be in Vancouver from 31st May - 7th June for the World Triathlon Championships - as a spectator not a competitor I hasten to add.

I'm thinking it would be great to meet up, during that week.

If you care to, please email me at norman.perrin[AT]mac.com

My regards
Norman